|The Staff Accountant is responsible for executing and validating the company’s accounting practices and policies and ensuring the financial security of the company by adhering to local, state and federal government requirements. Position performs various administrative and clerical functions as needed. Position currently reports to the Chief Financial Officer.
This position is management focused with the objective of supporting the management team in the effective and efficient delivery of practice support.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Represent the accounting department of the broader organization in a professional manner, while working with the state team to facilitate partnership, meet the operational needs and provide a high level of service. Solid team player focused on supporting a high performing team.
- Coordinate payables and expenditures, including allocation of expenses. Work with corporate team to facilitate periodic payments, appropriate coding and expense reporting.
- Work closely with RCM team and AP to coordinate payment of patient refunds.
- Work closely with AR and Payroll Departments to assure the accuracy of payroll, billing and all corresponding journal entries, including appropriate payroll allocations.
- Analyze and reconcile the general ledger.
- Preparation of monthly entries, cash records and account analysis. Track inventory, related purchasing records and reconcile monthly.
- Support fixed asset, sales, property, and other tax reporting.
- Revenue cycle accounting (including revenue recognition, accounts receivable, bad debts and related reserve estimation).
- Incentive computation, approval, and review. Support preparation of financial analysis and explanation of variances between budgeted and actual results.
- Assist with the preparation of monthly and quarterly internal reporting and analysis, including practice, location and summary financial information.
- Assist with preparation of annual operating budgets.
- Maintain and strive to improve financial policies and internal controls. Assist with workflow improvement and support strong internal controls, particularly with regard to purchasing, inventory, asset control and protection, expense management, expense reporting and supporting a general approach with regard to reinforcing accountability and financial controls.
Education and/or Experience Requirements:
- Required: Bachelor’s degree from a 4 year university program
- Preferred: CPA or CPA candidate strongly preferred
- 3-5 years hands-on healthcare-industry accounting experience
- Knowledge of healthcare industry accounting is a plus
- Experience with Acquisitions and due diligence is a plus
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills
Skills and Qualifications:
- Must be a highly motivated self-starter
- Must be able to multi-task in a professional, fast-paced environment
- Must be available to work longer hours during peak closes
- Must be highly professional in appearance, tone and delivery and an effective communicator
- Must be an exceptional listener, with the proven ability to problem-solve issues discussed
- The ability to work independently and in a group setting, high integrity, reasonable and thoughtful judgment, a sense of urgency and analytical and intuitive skills
- Must have good eyesight and ability to focus on a computer screen for 8 hours per day
- Must be able to tolerate sitting and working at a desk for 8 hours per day
- Light physical effort (lift/carry up to 10 lbs.). Frequent standing/walking. Occasionally lifts supplies/equipment. Manual dexterity and mobility. Occasional reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching
- Must have a valid driver’s license and good driving record
- Occasional night or weekend work may be required
- Occasional travel may be required associated with acquisitions
- Salary is $45-65,000 per year depending on experience and qualifications.
The work of this position is performed in an environmentally controlled office environment. The position requires the ability to work under pressure and with a diverse population, including staff, physicians, clients, patients, insurance companies and other members of the public on a regular basis. The work environment is subject to varying and unpredictable situations and many interruptions. Occasionally subjected to irregular hours and pressure due to multiple calls and inquiries.